Wednesday, July 18, 2012

One month!

One month from today, I leave for China! I cannot believe the time has come so quickly.  Donations are starting to come in, I make my last trip payment on Friday, and I'm starting to think about packing and other travel preparations.  I'm definitely getting excited!

I will say that it has been hard to focus though, because our family vacation and church's Vacation Bible School are right before this trip.  I will have one week between VBS and flying out to finalize everything.  It's a bit daunting but I know all is in my Lord's hands and He will see me through...He always does!

So, what do I expect from this trip? I have no idea, honestly, except that it will have a life-changing impact in my heart.  I know many go on mission trips to serve, to give, to touch lives with Christ's love and truth.  I do so also, but I feel more deeply that I am going as a learner more than anything else...to learn how to "do" a quick 10-day turn around trip with all the jet lag that such a trip entails (anyone who knows me, knows that I love my sleep and wear down easily without it!); to learn how to jump into a group of strangers, albeit sisters and brothers in Christ, and work as a team with a servant heart and willingness to do whatever is asked of me; to learn firsthand about mainland China, China's orphanages, China's orphans, and the special needs that many children live with; and probably, most of all, to learn to love well the "least of these" as I love my Lord.  He, Himself, said, "'I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me...when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'" Matthew 25:35-36, 40 (NLT).  The least in the world's eyes, however, are often the greatest in God's kingdom, and I will be honored to spend time with these "greatest."

No doubt I will return feeling that I received more from my time in China's orphanages than I gave.  Isn't that how it often goes?  So, I will be content with going as a learner even as I serve, understanding that I will be encountering some of the most beautiful of all God's children. In fact, I may very well see the face of Jesus...this reminds me of words from the song "What Now" by Steven Curtis Chapman that has stayed close to my heart:

I saw the face of Jesus in a little orphan girl
She was standing in the corner on the other side of the world
And I heard the voice of Jesus gently whisper to my heart
Didn't you say you wanted to find me?
Well here I am, here you are

So, What now?
What will you do now that you found Me?
What now?
What will you do with this treasure you've found?
I know I may not look like what you expected
But if you remember, this is right where I said I would be
You've found me
What now?

Most certainly, I expect to return from China with this question heavy upon my heart...what now? 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your trip with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete