Wednesday, May 14, 2014

New Surgery Date

We got called by Shriner's this week and Henry has a new surgery date of Tues., June 10th at Shriner's. Henry has been discussed a lot lately in preparation for the surgery, and as a result, it has been determined that the C1 and C2 spinal fusion will proceed as planned but without being fused to his skull. Apparently it is unnecessary and Henry will maintain more mobility in his neck without it. With this change, the neurosurgeon at Doernbecher Children's Hospital isn't needed and the surgery can be done at Shriner's by just his spinal doctor. Everything else remains the same with intubation, the halo and vest, etc. We will probably have a pre-op appointment the day before and then be in the hospital for a week, more or less, following the surgery. I don't know if this decreases the risk but more mobility is definitely a good thing if it is best for Henry.
We had a really sweet first Mother's Day together as a family. In fact, with gorgeous weather, we had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. On Saturday, we had a nice walk and Henry got to see his first t-ball game on the way. Then, after watching the high school soccer district play off, Henry got to play his first bowling game. Then he got to watch his first tennis as the boys and I played. What a fun day of sports!


After worship on Mother's Day, our family had a quick lunch in Olympia and then enjoyed the beauty of Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge in Lacey. We saw so many birds, including lots of Canadian geese with their babies, a sea otter, squirrel, and rabbit along with the lush forest and farmland. One of my favorites was the long bridge over the area where the freshwater of the Nisqually River combines with the saltwater of the Puget Sound. And the weather couldn't have been more perfect!



The day ended with one of my favorites...Indian food! Henry had his first experience with it and really liked it. Besides pickles and just a few other things, he really will eat just about anything; which makes taking him out even more fun! I was blessed by the boys' own personal Mother's Day creations. Here is a photo of Henry's hand print flowers. He was so excited to present his gift to me on "Mommy's special day." And I was so blessed!



Once again, thank you for all your prayers, concern, and support. I keep saying that we have a long road ahead but honestly, we live one day at a time to make the most of and be thankful for. As Scripture says, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6:33-34, NIV). We are trusting God's timing and care for our Henry...His Henry...and so appreciate prayers for all the details, preparations, and adjustments throughout this journey. Much love to all!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri, I'm mom to another ND graduate and was so glad to see your blog linked off the NDblog. I spent a week back at ND in March of last year and was smitten with your little guy. He was so proud to show me how capable he was on the playground. I have some cute pictures that I'd love to share with you.
    So happy to be able to read about how well he is doing with his forever family! I'll be in prayer for him (and you) in the days leading up to his surgery and of course on June 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi! Photos would be wonderful and I am so glad you had some sweet time with Henry at New Day. We are very thankful for all who loved on him while waiting for his forever family. You can send photos to mrsrevb1@gmail.com. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. My name is Faye Morris and my husband and I are retired, living in Bellevue, Wa. We had the honor of being Henry's sponsors while he was at New Day. Imagine my surprise that he ended up in the NW! Your post was so exciting to read and we look forward to watching for future updates. Prayers for all of you in the coming days leading up to and during surgery. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faye, thank you for letting me know! We so appreciate your sponsorship of Henry and for the prayers. So glad you can keep up with him here! Living so close, perhaps he can meet you guys one day. Blessings to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've spent some time reading back through your blog and can see that it's been an amazing journey. I tried to retrace how I found your blog and couldn't so I think it was God's doing. It's interesting that we saw Henry on FB for the first time and when we heard he needed a sponsor we wrote right away to offer. He really reached out to us too. My husband and I have been to China 3 times, starting with teaching at Shantuo University through connections via a "Talk Time" with Chinese friends where my husband was the Talk Time leader. After our term there we traveled for 5 weeks. While in Beijing we visited New Day. We held the babies and talked extensively with Karen. We started fostering children right away. It just seems so special to us that Henry ended up with you and we know that God had his hands on and plans for Henry that are beyond what we could fathom. Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete