Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Henry's First Surgery - Update

Henry's surgery has begun! We had a nice evening last night and a decent night's rest. I got him up and washed early this morning, then registered at 5:30. He was in good spirits as we played, sang, and prayed together in his room waiting for anesthesia. Once they gave him a little medicine to relax him and he got a little loopy, they took him on to the surgery area. Randy and I have eaten breakfast here in the cafeteria with a pastor friend who came to support us this morning. I will post updates here on this particular blog entry as we get them, about every hour or so. Henry will be in the operating room for 4+ hours. Thanks for prayers!

UPDATE: The surgery went as smoothly as it could have gone and after five hours, we were able to go in to see Henry. He was waking, breathing, and responding as needed so was not taken to ICU at OHSU for the night. This was a really good sign. However, he also woke up in a panic and in pain so I laid with him in recovery as he cried and cried until the pain med was sufficient. It was heart wrenching to say the least. Once all was stabilized, he and I were wheeled to his inpatient room where he has slept most of the day. He has started watching a couple videos but soon fell asleep. He also had a little wagon ride around the unit while his bedsheets were changed, but slept most of that as well. He has cried a few more times, complaining about the vest being too tight and hot, and about certain areas itching or hurting, but otherwise, has done amazingly well considering all he has gone through today.

The Shriner's staff has been wonderful, and the quiet, personal attention has been so helpful. We are very thankful for God's provision and for His strength today. Thanks again for prayers! We expect tomorrow to be a better day.

1 comment:

  1. Continuing to pray for a speedy recovery, and for all of you. Praising the Lord that everything went as well as it did, and that Henry did not have to spend time in ICU.